Clean Room Cranes & Hoists
Serving a wide range of industries, from food and beverage and energy, to aerospace and pharmaceuticals, our team can easily meet various industry-specific compliances and regulations, and our industry-leading clean room offerings are designed to meet the stringent standards set forth by NASA.
Clean Room Basics
Products with sensitive components and production processes often require the use of clean rooms during manufacturing. These environments are kept free from dust, airborne microbes, chemical vapors, and other environmental contaminants; depending on the application, a specified level of contamination is set and must be adhered to.
Before the International Standards Organization (ISO) adopted clean room standards, nearly all clean rooms were governed by FS209E, which specifies cleanliness classification levels. International standard ISO 14644-2, which is expected to eventually completely replace FS209E, describes the type and frequency of testing needed to meet certain standards and is the most common standard used today.
Industries making frequent use of clean rooms include:
American Crane’s Clean Room Crane Assortments
American Crane offers a variety of clean room material handling solutions from our own designed and manufacturing equipment to other industry-leading hoist brands such as Budgit, Coffing, CM, Yale, Shaw-box, and Chester. Some of our products include:
- Custom Design American Crane Clean Room Equipment: Our clean room equipment can be designed and built to meet your cleanroom requirements. These cranes are designed to prevent environmental pollutants and debris from contaminating your equipment.
Available Features Include:
- Full Coverage Kick-Plates on Walkways
- Drip Pans Under Gearboxes
- Stainless Steel Fittings and Hardware to Prevent Rust
- Air Wire Rope Hoists: Air wire rope hoists can be operated continually, with frequent start and stop cycles, while managing a maximum load of up to 100 tons. With constant cooling capability, these air-powered hoists are designed specifically for high-usage areas. Also, lifting performance and capacity are entirely unaffected by high ambient temperatures, and feathering on the pendant provides operators with unlimited speed control. These hoists can be easily relocated in plants with ready access to air
- Clean Room Electric Chain Hoists: These hoists are ideal for use in food, pharmaceutical, aerospace, and electronic applications. Electric chain hoists offer high performance in a wide range of demanding conditions and can withstand exposure to aggressive sanitizers, high humidity, and corrosive materials. This type of hoist — such as the CM Lodestar model — excels in a range of scenarios, from basic wipe-down to complete wash-down environments.
Key Industry Case Study: NASA Life Crane
The American Crane team was contracted to work on the design and construction of a critical lift crane for NASA. Aerospace clients like NASA demand specialty cranes for all types of sensitive handling applications, such as satellite assembly, and spacecraft maintenance and construction.
To meet NASA’s stringent standards, we produced a custom 25-ton top-running double-girder crane. All fasteners — made completely of stainless steel — were designed to be self-locking to ensure that no bolts or debris could fall from the crane and compromise the clean room. We also equipped the walkway with continuous kick plates in order to capture any stray dirt or debris. All electrical enclosures were shielded to ensure that no RFI or EMI affect the customer’s product.
With special attention to these types of protective features, the team at American Crane was able to provide NASA with a top-quality lift crane that easily met stringent clean room standards. The crane was installed at the Kennedy Space Center and is used to build the Orion spacecraft.
Clean Room Crane Solutions from American Crane
With over 40 years of material handling experience, American Crane is proud to offer industry-leading clean room crane and hoist solutions, providing start-to-finish design, fabrication, and in-house quality assurance services.
To learn more about our work with NASA, or to discuss how our clean room cranes and high-performance lifting solutions can help with your next project, reach out to our crane experts.